Not every one of us can afford to search for a dream job month after month. There are situations in life when you need to get a job as soon as possible. Superjob.ru will tell you how to act in order to reduce the time of looking for work.
Indicate salary expectations
Be sure to specify salary expectations: employers look at resumes with a salary “by agreement” much less often than those whose owners nevertheless indicated the level of desired remuneration. And if your experience is still small, then take the figure especially critically: a salary with a large number of zeros is paid to professionals who have undergone a serious selection (several interviews, test tasks, etc.). This selection takes time, but you just don’t have it. So, if there is no experience, appraise your education and skills sensibly, compare all this with the average salary of a specialist of your level (our salary reviews will help you with this) and. reduce the amount by 10-15%. But do not overdo it, do not force the recruiter to doubt your professionalism.
Think about what requests you are willing to refuse for early employment. Yes, this is very unpleasant advice, but it works. Do you really not see your future anywhere but international companies? Can you really imagine future work without VHI or other “benefits” of the compensation package? Are you sure that you are not ready to spend the extra 15-20 minutes on the road to work? Decide what you can refuse, and what is important for you, and review your resume. The fewer restrictions, the more offers you will receive, and this is very important if you need work immediately.
Expand your search
Even if you have a narrow specialization, it is worth thinking about considering proposals from related industries. Who knows what offers employers are ready to make? So give them a chance!
“Ready to start tomorrow. even today! ”
Another component of the success of a quick job is your willingness to go to work immediately, right tomorrow. Report it at interviews - in some cases this may be your competitive advantage. It happens that a vacancy needs to be closed urgently, and the candidates are all busy as one: one finishes things in the same place, the other planned a vacation. Meanwhile, some part of the work remains undisguised, the company loses potential profits and becomes more accommodating.
Evaluate your resume critically
Want to find a job quickly - once again evaluate your resume. Is it clear to the recruiter that you are professional and adequate? Is your experience and achievements adequately presented? Edit the resume for each vacancy that you apply for: try to draw attention to the part of your experience that may be of interest to this particular employer. Read more about how to describe your achievements in a resume here.
Download the mobile application
Good jobs close very quickly. To send your resume faster or to respond promptly to an employer’s invitation, use our mobile job search application. Update your resume and call the employer directly from the application:
Work on your job search! Everyday!
This is the most important point. None of the above will help if you are not looking for work carefully and systematically. Every morning, look through new vacancy announcements, send resumes to suitable companies, check the fate of your resume in those companies that did not answer your letters, in case of refusal after an interview, ask recruiters for advice on what you need to do in order to achieve the next company success. Do not sit back! Only persistent job seekers find work quickly!
Why good professionals sometimes can’t find a job
In recent years, the methodology of job search has changed significantly, as the influence of the Internet and technology has increased. If a person does not follow trends, but searches for work “the old fashioned way”, then he creates additional difficulties for himself and delays the long-awaited moment of employment.
However, there are aspects in your job search that are entirely up to you as a candidate. You can and should control them so that the search time is not wasted. How to get the most out of every job and every conversation with a potential employer is discussed later in the article.
Tips for candidates: how to effectively use every opportunity
- Do not think that today you can find work only through the Internet, and that it is easy to do. On the contrary, the fact that you communicate with the employer in absentia limits your ability to make a good impression. Therefore, do not neglect the search outside the online environment.
- Sometimes candidates without hesitation respond to all vacancies in a row, where they liked the salary. Before submitting your resume, consider whether this position, schedule, requirements, company mission, and other working conditions are suitable for you. If this is not yours, then you will spend at least time on an interview, and at the very least several weeks or months, while you work in a new place and regret the wrong decision.
- Think in what areas you want to develop as a specialist. Your new job should be a place where you will grow as a professional. This will benefit both you and the new employer. A new position should not be a way to temporarily “sit out” while waiting for more interesting offers. It is better to take the time to find a really desired place than to turn your resume into a list of random offices where you tried to “sit out” for a year or two.
- Do not waste time on suspicious ads "Purposeful people without work experience are required, the salary is high." 99% of these ads are either fraud or network marketing.
- Continue your searches on Saturday and Sunday, in the summer, on holidays, in early January. Although it may seem that during these periods the employment market is calm, many employers work seven days a week, and it is your resume that will catch their eye on January 2, when there is practically no other work mail.
- Do not look for any job, if only they paid money. Take time to decide where and by whom you want to work. Work is a huge part of life, and if it is unloved, then can a person call himself happy? And is it possible to do an unloved job qualitatively? And if you work half-heartedly, how long will you stay in this position? Do not drive yourself into a vicious circle.
- Good if you have a resume. However, do not send the same version to all tenants. Take a minute or two to adapt the document to a specific vacancy. Take a look at the text through the eyes of the employer to whom you are going to send it. You may have to remove information irrelevant for this post, add something useful, etc.
- Do not limit yourself to passive searching. The fact that you have posted your resume on all sites does not mean that your phone will be torn from calls. Search actively including: find job descriptions and call or write to the authors, offering your candidacy.
- Resist the temptation to embellish your strengths, abilities and achievements both in the resume and during the interview. An experienced HR officer will immediately recognize the cunning, and you will lose your place, because no one wants to hire a dishonest employee.
- Stop aimlessly spending time on social networks. Instead, use them as a useful tool: post brief information about yourself, your skills, and your desired position. Perhaps reposting your friends will help your future employer notice you. And vice versa, look for posts yourself from employees of companies in which there are vacancies.
- Keep track of what you post on your pages on social networks. If you have dubious jokes there, humor on the topic of laziness and procrastination, posts about achievements in online games, then all this is unlikely to please the potential employer. And they will see it, believe me! It is enough to drive your name and surname into the search, and a list of your pages in social networks will immediately appear. By the way, you can do it yourself: you will surely find several long-abandoned pages that you have not visited for years. They should also be put in order.
- Think before you post a comment on a forum, social network, or other public resource on the Internet. Nobody has canceled the freedom of speech, but do not abuse the “free microphone” in the online world. Your angry or, on the contrary, enthusiastic commentary on the topic of politics, religion, any hot topic can be read by your future employer or colleague, who will have the opposite opinion. Therefore, comment with restraint, with respect to the other parties to the dispute. Better to give up online battles.
- The concept of “networking” came to us from abroad - the construction of many social ties with mutual benefit. This means that you should get acquainted with as many people as possible from your area and related areas, to keep abreast of trends and use dating to build a career. However, remember that this does not only work “one way”. Not only receive, but also give: knowledge, help, advice, contacts. Otherwise, you will come across as an annoying person.
- Keep in touch with people. Periodically write or call all the people with whom you spent time in the past. It can be former classmates, classmates, colleagues, acquaintances. Who knows, maybe some of them will want to take you to work or bring you to another employer.
- Come to the interview on time. To do this, think in advance of the route, transport, consider traffic jams. If you are going to an unfamiliar address for the first time, it’s better to go there in advance in your free time so that you don’t waste time cutting circles and trying to ask passers-by for directions.
- Remember that competent, correct speech and writing without errors are needed not only in the Russian language exam. Although you can be a great professional, illiterate speech can play against you. To learn how to speak beautifully, watch the instructional videos. Literate written speech is formed by those who read a lot. In addition, there are many free spell checking services on the Internet. Take the time to check your resume or letter to a potential employer. In correspondence, avoid emoticons, familiarity, jokes. Write in a businesslike yet simple language. Always greet and say goodbye.
- Be polite - not only with the person who conducts the interview, but also with the watchman, secretary, other people in the office.Come prepared for an interview: read about the company, if possible find out more about the vacancy and about the person who will conduct the dialogue with you (social networks will help here). But you should not immediately bring down your knowledge on the interlocutor - instead, keep them in reserve and use dosed when the opportunity arises.
- Do not drink drinks during the interview, even if you have poured them. Take a couple of sips out of politeness. Turn off the phone: answering calls and messages will be bad form. If you are afraid to miss a call from another company, say the appropriate text to the answering machine, and when you are free, call back.
- If you take a letter of recommendation from your boss at your previous place of work, then try to contact him periodically and let him know that they may write and call from such and such companies.
- Sent a resume, but did not receive a response? Try to write or call in a week. Politely ask if the company received news from you, and why there was no answer. Perhaps the letter turned out to be “littered” on top by current mail, and they simply did not see it. Then offer to send it again. If your candidacy is considered, but rejected, try to find out why. Do not be offended by hearing criticism, even unreasonable. Perhaps your resume seems ideal to you, but an outsider saw in it flaws and inconsistencies. Thank you for the feedback and try to apply the information received by editing your document. The same procedure is relevant after the interview. But do not bother people and call 2-3 times. One call will be enough.
Job search is always an exciting and time-consuming process. Do not complicate it even more by making annoying mistakes and wasting time. Instead, apply our advice, and soon a new entry will appear in your workbook!
Where to start looking for a new job?
The most important thing is to deal with the old work before you start looking for a new one. You need to find a problem that pushes you to dismiss, and try to solve it. Often, a sincere conversation with the leader works wonders. You can get support from your boss or even a pay raise, and the need to send resumes in search of new prospects will disappear.
If you do not try to solve the problem, then you risk stepping on the same rake, only at the next job.
What can complicate the search?
For example, after all the thoughts and attempts to improve your position in the current workplace, you are determined to look for a new one. Then you should know what can complicate the whole process.
"Eats" a lot of nerves. Usually a person is worried that a manager will find out about a job search and will not want to keep a “traitor” at home.
It takes a lot of time. Finding a new job in this situation is your second job. Of course, it does not require your attention from 9.00 to 18.00, but a considerable investment of time and effort will be required.
Distracts from the main work. Starting from the fact that you need to ask for an interview and answer the phone, ending with the fact that your thoughts are not occupied with work, but with the results of the interview.
Why is it good to look for a new job without quitting?
You do not need to rush. You are not kicked out of work, you receive stable wages, which means you can afford to choose the most suitable employer.
The stakes are not so high. The greater the candidate’s desire to get a job, the higher his excitement at the interview. This condition is aggravated if it depends on the results of the interview whether he will live for what the next few months. If you have a job, the excitement will not be so strong, which means that self-presentation at the interview is better.
You may not need to leave. When researching the labor market, it may turn out that your company wins noticeably in terms of conditions, and work should not be changed so far.
Job search allows you to soberly evaluate yourself. During the interview process, you will be able to see how you are evaluated in the labor market. Do you have enough knowledge and skills to move to an equivalent or a higher position. Thanks to this, you can make a more rational decision on your dismissal and better plan your actions.
Should the boss talk about his plans?
I consider this approach more honest. It provides an opportunity for the employer to try to persuade you to stay or find a replacement before you leave.
This works if you have a trusting relationship with the leader. But not all candidates, as well as employers, are ready for such an open dialogue. In addition, if you are not sure that you will quickly find a new job, you should not tell your boss about your plans.
The boss does not know anything. How to do everything right?
So you are not telling anyone that you are looking for work. In this case, follow simple rules.
Think of a plan of behavior
Think in advance what you will tell your boss if he finds out about everything. I have never met employers who would fire their employees because they were looking for another job. But in any case, you will be calmer if you immediately know what to say.
If you find out about your job search and call to talk, you have several options for how to behave.
The first is to say that you want to explore the labor market and your value in it. A resume was posted to see how valuable your experience is in the market.
The second is to honestly discuss with the employer the reasons why you started looking for work, and try to come to a decision. If it doesn’t work out, then pronounce the terms of your working out so that you quietly find a new place, and the employer has time to prepare a replacement for you.
Plan time for HR communication
Be prepared for calls from recruiters during business hours. There is nothing wrong with inviting a recruiter to call back after 10 minutes and go outside for a quiet conversation.
In order not to disappear for a long time from your workplace, at the beginning of a telephone interview, specify how long it takes to go through it. It’s absolutely normal to ask the recruiter a question: “Please orient, how much time will it take for a telephone interview.”
If you have had a telephone interview and you have been assigned a full-time interview, try to arrange an interview in the morning before work, at lunchtime, or in the evening after hours. Often, recruiters are willing to stay at work or come early to conduct an interview with an interesting candidate. Но будьте готовы, что интервью с руководителями или топ-менеджерами будут назначаться в удобное для них время, а, значит, вам нужно будет отпрашиваться с работы.
Сформулируйте причину ухода
Продумайте убедительную причину поиска работы. О ней вас спросят обязательно.
Examples of compelling reasons: the company did not fulfill its promises (for example, they promised to revise the salary and did not fulfill it) or the employee “outgrew” the position, and there is no way to develop it in the company.
In no case should you complain about the manager and colleagues, and also call the salary the reason for dismissal from several places in a row - the employer will assume that you will easily leave him if you are offered more in another place.
Warn you are still working
Speak at the interview that you are still working and ask not to collect recommendations from the current employer. If at your place of work there is a colleague who is ready to give you recommendations, it is better to refer to him.
Also, immediately speak with the employer that you will need to work for some time in the company. This will not surprise anyone and will show you a responsible employee.
Make a decision consciously
Even if you are determined to leave, still do not rush to accept an offer from another company if you are not sure that this work is worth it. The transition to a new job is always a risk. And such decisions must be made consciously.