In order to understand the competent content of such creatures, you need to understand what exactly they are. So the frogs come in one big class Amphibians or Amphibian. Which of these should be understood? And the fact that these creatures can live both on land and in water. This animal kingdom has a separate squad in this class - Tailless, which has about 6,000 modern and 84 fossil species (according to the Wikipedia resource).
Perhaps it’s worthwhile to think about getting a frog if you don’t have panic fear or squeamishness about these creations, since all people have different perceptions of our environment and its inhabitants. Since antiquity, these animals have been treated with obvious duality. Some attributed them participation in witchcraft rituals, where they were used as ingredients, while others had the belief that they should not be killed, since they bring good luck and prosperity to the house.
If we consider a frog as an ordinary animal, with its own characteristics, behavior and character, then we can see that these are quite nice creatures. They have beautiful expressive eyes, a wide variety of colors, their movements are very interesting to watch. It is interesting to look after them.
The advantages of such a pet include not only a cute appearance, but also their ability to adapt to any climate conditions. This class of animals perfectly mastered the entire globe and was able to adapt to life in any element. If you were sure that they live only in reservoirs and swamps - your knowledge will be replenished. Their habitats are much wider than usual for us. They have mastered the desert and the polar borders. They live both in the city and in wild places where the person did not live at all.
If you have considered and decided to purchase such a pet, then you will need to be attentive to the type of frog that you prefer. Each species is unique in its own way.
- Common tree frog. This small tree frog, most often it can be found in terrariums. She has a good appetite, meek character, entertaining behavior. It is not difficult to keep it, but it is worth noting that she eats living insects. If you come across a male of this species - expect periodic chants, such is their nature. Among this species there is a whole variety:, harlequin tree frog, red-eyed tree frog, coral tree frog. But it is worth noting that many of them are poisonous! Consider this when buying. Always wash your hands after contact with them.
- Slingshot. Due to her appearance, as well as her large mouth and huge belly, she was nicknamed Pacman (Pac-Man video game character). It has a different color and perhaps this is the most popular type of frogs for the house. She has good eyesight and knows how to hide well. This can be great fun, as the slingshot also changes color depending on the interior. Leads a sedentary lifestyle, which simplifies the issue of space. Eats slingshot live food, such as crickets.
- Far Eastern toad. In appearance it resembles a toad. Ideal for home maintenance, as it has a beautiful color and is active during the day. Eats a toad of live insects. Too big does not grow.
- African dwarf. This is a small active frog, which does not require intensive care and it is perfect for beginners. For her, a constant presence in water is not necessary. Live food is not required.
These are just a few of the options available to choose from. In any case, it is better to acquire familiar frog species that you can keep at home.
It is better to refuse wild species, due to the complexity of the correct maintenance of an unknown species (unless you are of course an expert in this field), dietary requirements and personal safety. In addition, a frog caught in the wild can be a protected species and taking it from its natural habitat will violate the population of its species.
Frog Space Choice
You can determine the size of the terrarium (or other tank) by the size of your adult frog. Lean on some factors:
- You need to know exactly the type of frog you have chosen in order to have an accurate idea of how large it can grow. Arriving at the pet store, do not start from sellers: they may be poorly informed in this matter. It’s better to read about certain species right away, look for information about them, and only after you are sure of the characteristics of your pet will definitely buy a tank.
- The larger the frog, the more free space it will require. If the aquarium is small, your animal will hurt and suffer, you certainly won’t make it happy.
- Small species require less food and aquarium filling, which in turn makes them more desirable for novice owners. Behind them you will have to clean less.
- Some species have a tiny appearance, but this can be deceiving. For example, the Elf frog - its initial size is 2.5 centimeters, and it can reach 20 cm. Always check first.
Varieties of frog tanks
- Ground tanks are the easiest view. Suitable only for land amphibians.
- Water tanks - this species is only for water amphibians.
- 50/50 is the most common species, where half is filled with water and the other half is dry. Most frogs are just such a house.
- Wood tank - the name speaks for itself, this house is only for woody species that love branches. Such a house is tall and narrow, unlike the rest.
- Pond - if you have a private plot, you can create your own pond there, where you can settle several types of local croaks.
You need to determine what the substrate will be (the lower part of the house): wet or dry.
Among them, the most famous option is gravel. Easy to clean, there are many variations in colors and shapes. Also popular: soil, sand, peat, moss. For each specific type, it is better to choose your own type of soil.
Jewelry. Here you can use moss and various stones (not acute), plastic or living plants. Backgrounds for the aquarium are sold in stores, which will create an atmosphere of naturalism. Then rely on your taste, the main thing is not to forget that this does not harm your pet.
It all depends on the type of your frog. Most of them do not need special lighting. If the house is installed far from natural light, a light source of 12 hours is required. Use a luminaire with fluorescent lamps for this - this is the safest option. If you need to change the temperature in the aquarium, the easiest option is to cool or heat your apartment. The temperature in the water can be heated with a glass tube, which is sold in specialized stores or an immersion water heater. For all this process it is necessary to conduct constant monitoring and provide the frog with a safe place to stay at this time.
- To proceed in this matter, again, follows from the type of frog you have chosen.
- Remember that most species of frogs prefer live food, that is, you will need to be able to buy crickets, caterpillars, worms, fish, and mice. All this living creature is better to buy in specialized stores, and not to dig out or to catch in the garden behind the house, as these pests can be chemically poisoned.
- Water needs to be changed regularly. They bathe in it and drink through the skin.
- Water must be dechlorinated, this is important.
- Clean every two days. The bottom is washed, all litter is removed, check the environmental quality in the tank.
A few important points in keeping frogs at home
- Do not abuse manual communication with your frog. They don’t really like it. Better to observe the behavior from the inside. If you took the animal in your arms, they must be clean and dried.
- A frog is a slippery creature and accuracy above all else. If after some of your communication with her you felt damp, then this means that communication has been delayed, and the frog is tired.
We have given you general guidelines for keeping animals such as frogs. Familiarize yourself with the selected species, here a special role is played by proper care, temperature and nutrition. If you adhere to the exact living conditions, your unusual home resident will be healthy and will live for many years near you!
Description of the Muzzle frog (Rana arvalis)
Muzzle frog (Rana arvalis) - A very numerous species of our fauna, reaches a length of 78 mm. The back is brown or grayish with dark spots, the abdomen is white or yellowish, usually without spots. The throat is whitish, often with a marble pattern. The witty frog spends all the time, including wintering, on land. Only for the breeding season it moves to a reservoir. It feeds on terrestrial insects, invertebrates.
Spawning frogfish is carried out in a very short time. Males spend in water bodies only 20-25 days. Females come later than they and leave earlier, immediately after laying eggs. One female lays 500-2750 eggs.
At low temperatures, sometimes even when ice crusts form over the masonry, the development of eggs lasts 8-10 days. The development of larvae takes on average 60-65 days, and in the tundra zone no more than 45-55 days.
Description of a grass frog (Rana temporaria)
Grass Frog (Rana temporaria) differs from the muzzle in larger sizes - up to 10 cm long, a blunt muzzle, a marble-like pattern on the abdomen and a low calcaneal tuber.
The grass frog is more cold-resistant, demanding on moisture. Most active in the evening and morning twilight. He prefers to spend time in natural shelters - behind grass tubercles, stones, rotting stumps, fallen branches, in tall grass, etc. It feeds on various invertebrates, dipterans insects, caterpillars, spiders. As well as in some other species of frogs, there are cases of eating like-like ones. Source: Frogs
On the whole, the biology of grassy and muzzle frogs is similar, it differs only in details.
Keeping and caring for a muzzle or grass frog
Recommendations for keeping a muzzle or grass frog at home are slightly different from the similar advice on keeping a lake frog. As a rule, it is recommended to equip a terrarium with 30-40 liters, plant it with green plants and arrange a large, but shallow pond. It is recommended to cover the terrarium with a net so that its moving inhabitants do not run away. Additional heating of the terrarium, as well as additional lighting is not required.
You can buy a lake, pike or grass frog not only in pet stores or in large bird markets. The number and habitat of these species of frogs are so vast that they can be found in ordinary forest, in a swamp or near a river, lake or pond.
Recommended for keeping both beginner and professional amphibian breeders.