The main value in the cod liver is fish oil, which can be taken even in its pure form, acquired in a pharmacy. Regular intake of such fat or eating canned food from the liver of cod fish is beneficial for the body, but there are potential side effects that you need to be aware of.
Fish oil contains a lot of:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- docosahexaenoic acid (DHA),
- eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA),
- omega-3 fatty acids.
Each of these components is necessary for the body to maintain the normal functioning of all systems, to fight diseases, strengthen immunity.
Type 1 diabetes
A meta-analysis of a large number of observations showed that women who took cod fat during pregnancy were much less likely to have children with type 1 diabetes. If you are expecting a baby, be sure to consult your gynecologist if you need to take fish oil. You may already be prescribed medications containing vitamins A, D, and omega-3 acids.
A high concentration of omega-3 fats makes cod liver an indispensable product for maintaining the health of the nervous system, improving cognitive functions and developing intellectual abilities. Many psychiatrists note significant improvements in their patients with bipolar disorder, depression, obsessive-compulsive syndrome after a course of cod fat intake.
Other useful properties
- prevention of inflammation of the inner ear,
- decreased triglycerides in the blood,
- prevention and treatment of psoriasis,
- prevention of fetal development pathologies caused by a deficiency of vitamins A and D,
- good alternative treatment for Crohn’s disease,
- maintaining blood pressure within normal limits,
- relief of migraine symptoms,
- anti-inflammatory effect
- stimulation of the immune system
- improvement in bronchial asthma,
- improvement in the early stages of kidney disease.
Cod liver, despite all its beneficial properties, can produce side effects, the risk of which is directly related to the frequency and amount of food consumed. Uncontrolled intake of fish oil capsules is especially dangerous. Hypervitaminosis A and D can have very sad consequences. Among them:
- nausea and vomiting,
- violation of the stool
- hair loss,
- angina pectoris
- impaired consciousness
- toxic liver damage.
Pregnant and lactating women should always consult their doctor (gynecologist, pediatrician) before taking fish oil as an additive. If we are talking about cod liver, then it is better to eat it in small quantities and not every day.
People taking arterial hypertension medications (capoten, enalapril, losartan, valsartan, diltiazem, amlodipine, hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide) should be careful, as cod liver oil indirectly reduces pressure. Ask your cardiologist if you need to lower the dose to avoid possible hypotension.
If you are taking anticoagulants (aspirin, clopidogrel, plavix, heparin, warfarin) and / or drugs that lower blood viscosity (diclofenac, ibuprofen), then be careful because fish oil reduces the ability of blood to thrombus, which in combination with your therapy may serious bleeding.
Composition of cod liver (per 100 grams)
|The energy value||613 kcal|
|vitamin a||100,000 IU|
|vitamin D||10,000 IU|
|saturated fatty acids||22,608 g|
|monounsaturated fatty acids||46.711 g|
|polyunsaturated fatty acids||22.541 g|
Cod liver is a product quite specific in taste and smell. If you do not like it, then do not deprive yourself of its useful properties, just buy fish oil capsules in a pharmacy. And do not forget to consult a doctor. Be healthy!
Video about the benefits of cod liver from the program “Live healthy!”
Method 1 Discuss the use of cod liver oil with a healthcare professional
There are many diseases in which cod liver oil can reduce or improve symptoms. But, despite this, there are situations in which cod liver oil can adversely affect health. To make sure you need to start taking cod liver oil, discuss your intentions with your doctor before you begin.
- 1 Inquire about the possible prevention of cardiovascular disease. In some cases, taking cod liver oil can improve blood circulation and prevent a heart attack.
- 2 Consider taking cod liver oil for rheumatism and arthritis. Very often, fish oil helps to reduce inflammatory processes and improve circulation in the body, which in turn leads to a decrease in edema and joint pain, and this improves mobility.
- 3 Discuss with your doctor what other health problems cod liver oil can relieve. Studies of the effects of cod liver fat on the body have shown that it can prevent, treat, and alleviate many health conditions.
- Vitamin A, found in cod liver oil, has a positive effect on the body’s immune system, strengthens bones, vision and improves reproductive health.
- Cod liver oil also contains vitamin D, which can prevent rickets, improve muscle function, and can help prevent type 1 diabetes, overstrain and certain types of cancer.
- 4 Ask about contraindications. Pregnant women and people taking blood thinning medications, as well as those with any kind of blood disease, are not recommended to take fish oil and cod liver oil.
Method 2 Carefully Choose Supplements
Not all supplements containing cod liver oil are made the same. Before buying, carefully read the information on the purity, composition and standards of the manufacturer. Before you find a manufacturer that is suitable for you in quality, you will have to try several options.
- 1 Choose only manufacturers that adhere to generally accepted standards. Search and select only those manufacturers who can provide detailed information on the presence of substances such as heavy metals and mercury, as well as providing information on the purity and concentration of the product.
- 2 Choose supplements with extra omega-3 acids. Cod liver oil contains some omega-3 acids, but its concentration is relatively lower than that of fish oil.
- Some manufacturers produce cod liver oil with an increased concentration of fatty acids, this brings additional health benefits. If you prefer a product with extra omega-3 fatty acids, choose those that contain EPA and DHA.
- 3 Determine which liquid or tablet form of release you prefer. There is no difference between the effects of these two options, so whether you take a pill or a liquid will depend on your preference.
- A liquid supplement of cod liver oil very often has a noticeable fishy flavor, this can be avoided by taking the medicine in capsules. Fish smell or taste is a common side effect of many seafood-based nutritional supplements.
- The liquid supplement is much cheaper than the capsule supplement. If you still do not like this smell, you can buy helium capsules on an animal or vegetable basis in the nearest food supplement store and independently adjust the dosage of fat received from cod liver. Helium capsules are available in various sizes. If you want to learn how to do this, ask your local food supplement store for advice.
- 4 Carefully read the concentration of vitamins and other substances. Familiarize yourself with the levels of vitamins A and D, of course, you do not want to take the amount more than recommended. Most adults should not exceed a dose of more than 10,000 IU of vitamin A and 5,000 IU of vitamin D per day.
Cod liver oil (oil)
Cod liver is a beloved and very famous delicacy. In popularity, it surpasses almost all other canned seafood. True, this snack is not for every day. The reason lies not only in the high cost of this product, but also in the fact that cod liver can be eaten as food only in limited quantities. Why? Read more about this and much more later in this article.
Method 3 Follow the instructions for proper use.
As with any type of nutritional supplement, compliance with the instructions is very important. Make sure that you really need to take this supplement, and if the dose is doubled, consult your healthcare provider.
- 1 Do not take more food supplements than you were prescribed. An overdose of cod liver oil can be dangerous, it is associated with the amount of vitamins contained in it.
- 2 Analyze your diet before starting a dietary supplement. If your diet already contains a large amount of vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids, you most likely do not need to take fat from cod liver.
- Go to a nutritionist and analyze your diet, you may not need to take cod liver oil. Some people get the right amount of healthy fats and vitamins A and D from their diet.
Composition of cod liver
|The nutritional value|
|Fats, g, including:||65,7|
|Saturated Fatty Acids, g||10,6|
|Monounsaturated fatty acids, g||33,62|
|Polyunsaturated fatty acids, g||18,33|
|Organic acids, g||0,2|
|Carbohydrates, g, including:||1,2|
|Mono- and disaccharides, g||1,22|
|Dietary fiber, g||0|
|Vitamin A, RE, mcg||4400,0|
|Vitamin B1 (thiamine), mcg||50|
|Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), mcg||410|
|Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), mcg||230|
|Vitamin B9 (folic acid), mcg||110|
|Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), mg||3,4|
|Vitamin D (calciferol), mcg||100|
|Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol, TE), mg||8,8|
|Vitamin PP (niacin equivalent), mg||2,7|
The benefits of cod liver oil
The cod liver is very rich in fats. Since the topic of our conversation is not cod liver, but cod liver oil, we will continue to talk about it. Although in a tin can of this fat is a lot. This is due not only to the high fat content in the liver itself (admittedly, it is), but also to the fact that cod fat itself serves as a preservative for the liver. By the way, cod liver is one of the few products whose preservation technology does not require heat treatment, that is, the can of cod liver is stacked raw, in this form, and reaches the consumer. This makes it possible to preserve all useful substances, and there are many of them in the cod liver.
First of all, you should pay attention to the fact that cod liver oil is a product that takes first place among almost all other food products in terms of vitamin A. Only polar bear liver can compete with cod liver oil. But can it be bought if this animal is listed in the Red Book?
Just 20 grams of cod fat contains a daily dose of vitamin A for an adult. Therefore, the lack of this vitamin is very easy to fill in by introducing this product into your diet. It is no coincidence that even the Vikings, who at that time could not know anything about vitamins, believed that eating cod liver helps them see in the dark. It is already now known even to a schoolboy that vitamin A leads to night blindness. Of course, in the pitch darkness from eating cod fat, you won’t be able to see anything, but at dusk your eyesight will clearly become better.
In addition to a beneficial effect on vision, vitamin A has many more functions in our body. So, its sufficient intake with food is the key to healthy skin, hair, nails, mucous membranes. Possessing strong antioxidant properties, it significantly accelerates the process of tissue regeneration (healing), renewal of mucous membranes, skin, etc. Moreover, vitamin A is a powerful anticarcinogen.
The main thing is not to overdo it, because hypervitaminosis A leads to severe problems with the liver of the person himself. Vitamin A poisoning can be fatal.
In total, a pound of polar bear liver contains so much vitamin A that it causes 100% fatal hypervitaminosis A.
In addition to vitamin A, cod liver oil is very rich in vitamin D, omega-3 acids, minerals and many other beneficial substances. If someone else does not know, then vitamin D is the main remedy against rickets. Therefore, cod liver oil can and should be introduced into the children's diet. It also does not hurt adults by preventing the development of osteoporosis, tooth decay, and many other problems of the musculoskeletal system.
The content of copper cod in the liver fat literally rolls over. Perhaps, by this indicator, this product is also in one of the first places.
Cod liver oil is also rich in chlorine, which plays an important role in the digestion process, because without chlorine our body cannot produce hydrochloric acid in the stomach, and therefore, absorb proteins and many other important substances.
Cod liver fat intake rate
The dosage for cod liver oil intake is determined by its vitamin A content. Recommended daily allowance the norm for cod liver oil intake is:
- for an adult 10,000 IU of vitamin A, it's 2 teaspoons,
- for a child aged 3-12 years, 5000 IU of vitamin A, this is 1 teaspoon,
- for pregnant and lactating women, 20,000 IU of vitamin A, these are 4 teaspoons.
Contraindications to the consumption of cod liver oil
As has just been said, cod liver oil abuse can lead to hypervitaminosis A, which in its symptoms is very similar to jaundice.
It is not recommended to use this product for hyperthyroidism, as it contains a lot of thyroid hormones, which will further exacerbate the problem.
Of course, one can not help but pay attention to the high calorie content of any fat. Therefore, individuals prone to fullness, cod liver oil should also be consumed with an eye on the arrow of the balance. But if there is no medical diagnosis from this series and is not expected in the near future, this warning can be safely ignored.
All animal fats are rich in cholesterol, so eating cod liver oil seems to negatively affect the cardiovascular system. However, fish oil contains a lot of omega-3 acids, which turn bad cholesterol into good. Therefore, cod liver oil is not contraindicated even with atherosclerosis.